Veggie Tales: ☃ Radishes Au Gratin ☃

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

90s kids, hopefully you are familiar with Veggie Tales. Religiously imbued yet absolutely delightful, the series stars some stellar veggies, from Larry the Cucumber to Bob the Tomato to Jimmy & Jerry Gourd. I can't think of anything more wholesome than adorable vegetables singing biblical tales with squeaky voices. You hear that, kids? BigIdea Entertainment wants you to love God AND eat your vegetables....simultaneously? Why not. 
Alas, here is how this throwback is applicable to my Keto aims for this blog: So, vegetables contain carbs, which, as a general rule of ketosis, I must keep track of. Unfortunately, this means I am limited in my veggie consumption. (But am I deprived? No.) My # 1 staple is spinach, but most other veggies I tend to incorporate specifically as accents to dishes. Rarely do veggies take the main stage. I am therefore chronicling my own Veggie Tales series of all veg-based dishes.
These will stveggies as the leading actors in each "foodie theatrical production." Behold, my 1st Veggie Tale:  
Radishes Au Gratin
It started with a rumor. I'd been hearing great things about radishes all over the Keto Blogosphere. I'm not entirely familiar with radishes, but having heard that they can take on a potato-like consistency, I figured they had potential to be scalloped "faux-tatoes". Here's the skinny I learned about radishes: if you boil them before you fry/bake them, they starch-ify!. But at only 2 net carbs per cup, they are very keto-friendly (miraculous, right?!) Always a winter favorite, anything au gratin is creamy, heavy, & perfect for a cold night. It may not be winter yet, but with 30 degree temps outside, WINTER IS COMING. The End. (Yeah, I knocked off Game of Thrones, sorry I'm not sorry.)

(Makes 2-3 servings)
Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb radishes chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 6-10 brussels sprouts
  • dash of pumpkin spice, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper 
  • 3-4 slices of bacon
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 6 oz grated Gruyère (or really any hard cheese)

  • Chop the radishes into thin slivers & boil for 7-10 minutes. As they boil, brown the bacon; set oven to 400°F. Chop up the brussels sprouts & garlic cloves as the radishes boil. After the bacon is cooked, take it out of the pan and chop it into smaller bacon bits. Add back into pan.


    Once radishes are boiled, fry them with bacon & remaining bacon grease. Add the garlic & brussels sprouts. Add spices. Pan-fry & stir to taste, adjusting spices & heat as needed. Once the vegetables are browned, add the heavy whipping cream and reduce flame; let simmer.
    Stir until the vegetables, bacon & cream have formed a caramelized-like consistency.

    Add cheese & bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately!


    • ·       Enjoy! Also, note the RADISH JUICE I drained on the right. (Don't worry, I only drank the wine)



     xo  SFB

No comments:

Post a Comment